New TTRPG Campaign Starting Soon

With our current Curse of Strahd campaign winding down, I would like to open up discussion to see what the appetite is for another campaign, and / or trying another game. We can always continue to play our current D&D characters and continue to a new adventure in the land of Barovia, or other D&D settings. I would like to put out some options that I have interest in, but also would love to entertain some other options if you have them.

Here are some options that I would love to play for the next round (a few months from now):

1. Numenera: a system different than D&D. It’s called the Cypher System. Here is their blurb: Set a billion years in our future, Numenera is a tabletop roleplaying game about exploration and discovery. The people of the Ninth World suffer through a dark age, an era of isolation and struggle in the shadow of the ancient wonders crafted by civilizations millennia gone. But discovery awaits for those brave enough to seek out the works of the prior worlds. Those who can uncover and master the numenera can unlock the powers and abilities of the ancients, and perhaps bring new light to a struggling world.
  2. Fate of Cthulhu: This game is based on the Fate rules, which I love, but they are different from stock D&D in many ways. There are no levels, XP or traditional paths of leveling up. It has a more theatrical core to it, leveraging more collaboration and improv. Here is the Fate of Cthulhu’s sell sheet: The Great Old Ones reach out from the future and into their past—our present—corrupting the timeline such that events and individuals turn towards the apocalyptic and lead to their inevitable rise. A small and battered resistance effort mounted by time-travelers and present-day heroes stands in their way. You are those one-way travelers from a dark future and their crucial allies from the present day, working together to save the human race from looming apocalypse. Armed with foreknowledge of Judgment Day, you must succeed at a series of vital missions aimed at restoring hope to the future. Can you defeat the vast unknowable evils of the Great Old Ones before you become a monster yourself? Find out in Fate of Cthulhu! The book says imagine Terminator 2, but with Cthulhu monsters instead of machines.
  3. We can use Fate core (mentioned above) to come up with any kind of setting we want, Star Trek, Firefly; and there other pre-made games with settings like Dresden Files, Dawning Star or even our own making; anything really. It’s a really cool system with lots of options.
  4. Pathfinder 2ed: Basically it is D&D, but not. @azh10 runs a game of Starfinder (which uses similar rules, but is Sci-fi based) and I quite like it.
  5. Another cool one is called Blades in the Dark: Blades in the Dark is a tabletop role-playing game by John Harper about a crew of daring scoundrels seeking their fortunes on the haunted streets of an industrial-fantasy city. There are heists, chases, occult mysteries, dangerous bargains, bloody skirmishes, and, above all, riches to be had—if you’re bold enough to seize them. You and your fledgling crew must thrive amidst the threats of rival gangs, powerful noble families, vengeful ghosts, the Bluecoats of the city watch, and the siren song of your scoundrel’s own vices. Will you rise to power in the criminal underworld? What are you willing to do to get to the top?

So, I know that is a lot to take in; What do you all think? Does anything sound interesting? Want to take a break for a while? Would you like to play something else not listed here? Don’t give a shit, and just want to leave it up to me? :wink:

Let me know what you all think! (For now, I think the same cadence would still hold mostly true, every other Saturday night, but we are open to more options depending on interest.)

My votes ranked based on present information:

1. Numenera
  2. Star Wars RPG: EotE/FnD/AoR
  3. Fate Core
1 Like
  1. Numenéra
  2. Pathfinder 2/e
  3. Starfinder
  4. Fate Core with a custom setting (I would volunteer my worldbuilding project, but it’s not fleshed out enough yet)

Fate of Cthulhu and Blades in the Dark do not interest me.

Some of the TTRPG systems I want to try: 13th Age, Exalted, Pathfinder 2e, Starfinder, GURPS (preferably science fiction), Adeptus Evangelion, Eightfold, Sengoku, L5R, BESM, Dungeons: The Dragoning, Pokérole, Pokémon 5E, Pokémon Tabletop United, Palladium, Rifts, Numenéra, Reclaim the Wild, someone made a TTRPG system around the Pokémon Master Trainer board game, Anima: Beyond Fantasy, Classic Traveller, Traveller 5/e, Ironclaw, Jadeclaw, Soulbound, Between Clouds, Shield Maidens, Knights of the Round Academy, Animon Story, Heroes of Cerulea, Beacon, Ryuutama, HERO System, and there are probably others too.

1 Like

:white_check_mark: Got it.

Okay, strong leaning towards Numenera right now; I will ask my other players in person soon, as I don’t think any of them really frequent this website.

I don’t feel comfortable running a Star Wars campaign as I don’t know much of the lore (but would play in one!) and we already have a Starfinder game going, so I will take that one off of the table for now. @Halian tell us more about your world you are building if you don’t mind. Or perhaps link to something online?

Oh another one to throw into the mix is Ironsworn.

It’s a soft sf/science fantasy world called the Safir Alliance, named after a supraplanetary organization that’s the main power in the setting, which itself is named after its senior member species, four-armed blue-blooded and -skinned matriarchal psionic elvenoids known as safir.

I regret that I don’t have much written down presently, but there is some stuff in a tumbl here and some on a wiki here. We also have a Guilded server.

1 Like